Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Enduring Valentines


I have to share this letter from Lynn Donovan coauthor of Winning Him Without Words. It was very inspiring and comforting to me. Every year at Valentines I long for the kind of romance you see on Tv and read about in books. Always left feeling like I was the only married woman who was never given any flowers, chocolate, or cards from my beloved spouse. There were a couple of times that I did receive a gift, but it didn't feel so romantic after a bunch of griping and prodding on my end. I just never understood. Of course after last years birthday and Valentines celebration came and went with total devastation as his mind and heart was set for someone else, doing the romantic things I always begged him for with someone else, while he tore my heart apart with his harsh words and actions,I'm left feeling a little jittery about my upcoming birthday and Valentines day this year.I never really thought about how close the two were. Last night it made me feel kind of special. I wondered if I should continue my plans to do something nice and special for husband without any expectations. I wondered if it was okay to hope for something nice this year. Hoping the Lord had been able to work enough love and change into my husbands heart. The Lord has done an amazing job, and so quickly at that. When I stop and think about all that has gone on and could have happened, a year doesn't seem that long anymore. It's only been six months since my husband suffered from a broken heart as the Lord severed the ungodly relationship that was taking place outside of the covenant. I had and have to endure the season of healing in his heart, and I haven't been exactly patient about it. I am so thankful for the Lord's grace that has been more than enough during my times of weakness. I love Him ever more! I love Him for what He has taught me. I love Him for helping me to love my husband more. I am grateful that the Lord has been in control and my husband is still home with me and our children. I am grateful as I see the Lord working deliverance into my husband, myself, and our family life in all aspects. The Lord is faithfully fortifying and inhabiting US! He is rebuilding that which has been destroyed and devastated. He confirmed again to me this last Saturday through a man of God at church. I will have my reward for my obedience and endurance. I wait on the Lord!

This letter from Lynn shows me again that I am not the only woman who longs for the typical idea of romance and that I can and should take the initiative to bless my husband, knowing that I WILL reap what I sow. I sow love, kindness, romance into my husband WITHOUT putting expectations on him, and the FATHER who sees all will reward me. I can put all my expectations on Him and His Word!

(But first I wanted to include this verses for your reference)

Galations 6 (read this over a couple of times. I just got some new revelation myself :))

6 The one who is taught the word is to share all good things with the one who teaches him. (Do you see it? I just did. The person that is learning has to bless and give back to the one doing the teaching. The law of reaping and sowing already in effect. Your action of sowing love is teaching the other person. You are planting seeds that will produce fruit for you to reap!)
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

Colossians 3:23-24
23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.


Ephesians 6:8

8 because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does


Hebrews 6:15 (My New Favorite)

having patiently endured, he (she) obtained the promise.




Valentine's Day is strange! (by Lynn Donovan)

This day could make me one of the happiest women alive or shatter my life. In the early years of my marriage, I had expectations of surprise trips to some warm destination. I dreamed of three dozen roses arriving at the bank which would make all my coworkers green with envy. I wanted him to sweep me off my feet because after all I deserved it. I mean really.....

After all, he was lucky enough to snag me.

Ahem....

Don't pretend you haven't had thoughts along these lines as a young bride. Perhaps you still might.

Well, I am writing to you today for a couple of reasons. I wish when I was young and starry eyed about love, a wise woman would have come along side me to help me get a grip on reality. I may not be the wisest woman but I care so very much about your tender heart.

My first five Valentine's Days I was lucky in that my husband remembered to buy me a card. Many of you tomorrow won't receive anything from your spouse. However, I wanted bouquets of flowers. I was so disappointed I cried.... Alone in the closet. Okay, Jesus cried along with me.

So, as this greeting card holiday looms, it helps to share a heads-up. Our husband's might disappoint us. Remember, our expectations of our men can be very selfish and our men often feel that no matter what they do, they can never make us happy.

I can hear some of you saying right now.... But, why shouldn't I expect some token of love on this day we celebrate romantic love? Well, honestly, I believe you should. However, it doesn't always happen.

Let me share how our Valentine's Day changed over the years. After five years of a card when "I wanted more," I took matters into my own hands.

I began to plan Valentine's Day and didn't wait for my man to make dinner reservations. I made reservations or planned a candle light dinner at home. If I wanted a bouquet of flowers, I bought them. I bought lingerie then wrapped it up to give to him with a promise to model it.

I'm not sure when it started to happen but flowers began to arrive at the house around Valentine's Day in the strangest way. I remember opening up the front door one year to a smiling FedEx driver. The driver looked at me wearing a great big smile and holding a large thin box. She said, "Mrs. Donovan, this is one of my favorite deliveries to make." The box was filled with live fresh flowers. They were pink and beautiful and ...... guess what...

I cried.

~But not in the closet.

God can change any man but I bet He is gonna change you first. Don't wait on him. Plan something now and make this Valentine's Day a great day.

Have a wonderful day and don't forget that Jesus is really the only one who can fill the hole in our hearts. Happy Valentine's Day and may the Lord send you several tiny love notes and delight your heart.

Be Blessed, Lynn

2 comments: